عنوان مقاله [English]
Canine Leishmaniosis due to Leishmania infantum is a major global zoonosis, potentially fatal to humans and dogs.Blood samples were taken and collected from cephalic or saphenous vein from 85 stray dogs of different ages, breeds, and both genders that were registered in the Karaj municipality's dog camping and 60 stray dogs that were registered in the Kohsar district. After separation of blood sera, anti-Leishmanial antibodies were detected by direct agglutination test (DAT). Out of 85 stray dogs samples from the Karaj municipality's dog camping, 38(44.7%) were males and 47(55.3%) were females and out of these, 4(4.7%) of them were positive for visceral Leishmaniasis that three of them were male and one was female. All of the seropositive dogs were symptomatic. Out of 60 stray dogs samples from the kohsar district, 14(23.3%) of them were positive for visceral Leishmaniasis that 6(10%) of positine cases were males and 8(13.3%) were females .Among the seropositive dogs in this regions, 4(6.6%) cases were asymptomatic and 10(16.66%) cases were symptomatic. there was not any significant difference between season of sample collection .Visceral Leishmaniasis is a zoonotic disease; therefore, the need for continuous surveillances on the prevalence of it in our communities is an essential work as a control strategy. There is a need for more additionalserological and molecular studies for exact determination of the presence of these parasites.
1. The World Health Organization. Control of the leishmaniases: report of a meeting of the WHO Expert Commitee on the Control of Leishmaniases, Geneva, 22-26 March 2010.186 p.
2. Mohebali M. Visceral leishmaniasis in Iran: Review of the Epidemiological and Clinical Features. Iran J Parasitol [Internet]. Tehran University of Medical Sciences; 2013 Jul;8(3):348–58.
3. ندیم ااف.، جوادیان ع.، محبعلی م.، ضامنی م. و همکاران. انگل لیشمانیا و لیشمانیوزها. مرکز نشر دانشگاهی تهران; 1387. 217-3 p.
4. Ribeiro RR, Michalick MSM, da Silva ME, dos Santos CCP, Frézard FJG, da Silva SM. Canine Leishmaniasis: An Overview of the Current Status and Strategies for Control. Biomed Res Int. 2018;2018(Cl):1–12.
5. Malmasi A, Janitabar S, Mohebali M, Akhoundi B, Maazi N, Aramoon M, et al. Seroepidemiologic Survey of Canine Visceral Leishmaniasis in Tehran and Alborz Provinces of Iran. J Arthropod Borne Dis. 2014 Dec;8(2):132–8.
6. Heidari A, Mohebali M, Kabir K, Barati H, Soultani Y, Keshavarz H. Visceral Leishmaniasis in Rural Areas of Alborz Province of Iran and Implication to Health Policy. 2015;53(4):379–83.
7. The World Health Organization. Manual on visceral leishmaniasis control. WHO, editor. first. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1996;84.
8. Nasiri V. Sheep blood-LB agar base medium (SLM) as a simple and suitable medium for the cultivation of Leishmania major promastigotes. Parasitol Res. 2013;112(11):3741–2.
9. Barati M, Mohebali M, Alimohammadian MH, Khamesipour A, Akhoundi B, Zarei Z. Canine visceral leishmaniasis: seroprevalence survey of asymptomatic dogs in an endemic area of northwestern Iran. J Parasit Dis. Springer; 2015;39(2):221–4.
10. Killick-Kendrick R. Oriental sore: an ancient tropical disease and hazard for European travellers [Internet]. wellcomehistory on WordPress.com. [cited 2014 Sep 6]. Available from: http://wellcomehistory.wordpress.com/2010/04/15/oriental-sore/
11. Baneth G, Koutinas AF, Solano-Gallego L, Bourdeau P, Ferrer L. Canine leishmaniosis–new concepts and insights on an expanding zoonosis: part one. Trends Parasitol. Elsevier; 2008;24(7):324–30.
12. Shokri A, Fakhar M, Teshnizi SH. Canine visceral leishmaniasis in Iran: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Acta Trop [Internet]. Elsevier B.V.; 2017 Jan;165:76–89.
13. Molaei S, Dalimi A, Mohebali M, Zareii Z, Akhondi B, Azarm A, et al. Study of Canine Visceral Leishmaniasis in Symptomatic and Asymptomatic Domestic Dogs in Meshkinshahr City , Iran. J Ardabil Univ Med Sci. 2016;16(1):105–15.
14. Mohebali M, Hajjaran H, Hamzavi Y, Mobedi I, Arshi S, Zarei Z, et al. Epidemiological aspects of canine visceral leishmaniosis in the Islamic Republic of Iran. Vet Parasitol. 2005;129(3-4):243–51.
15. Mohammadi-Ghalehbin B, Hatam GR, Sarkari B, Mohebali M, Zarei Z, Jaberipour M, et al. A Leishmania infantum FML-ELISA for the Detection of Symptomatic and Asymptomatic. Canine Visceral Leishmaniasis in an Endemic Area of Iran. Iran J Immunol. 2011;8(4):244–50.