عنوان مقاله [English]
Argaspersicus, family Argasidae, is soft tick that has incurred several difficulties to poultry industry. Besides, resistance to available anti-parasitic agents has intensified concerns. In the past few years, Zinc oxide nanoparticles (ZnO-NPs) as a novel and marvelous material have attracted great interest. One of their outstanding properties is antimicrobial effect. The current research was conducted to assess possible acaricidal impacts of ZnO-NPs on a prevalent tick, A. persicus. Moreover, malondialdehyde (MDA) content as a marker of lipid peroxidation and nitric oxide (NO) level as a marker of nitrosative stress were measured. Egg, larvae and adult ticks were incubated with various concentrations of the nanoparticle (1, 2, 4, 8 ppm). Then, the rate of mortality and hatch inhibition was recorded in constant intervals. The results showed that mortality and hatch inhibition increase in concentration and time dependent manner. MDA and NO level also increased in same pattern. It can be concluded that ZnO-NPs destroy ticks and inhibit egg hatch via induction of oxidative/nitrosative stress.
1. Kaufman, W.R. 2010. Ticks: physiological aspects with implications for pathogen transmission. Ticks and Tick-Borne Diseases 1: 11-22.
2. Tavassoli, M., S.H. Pourseyed, A. Ownagh, I. Bernousi and K. Mardani. 2011. Biocontrol of pigeon tick Argas reflexus (Acari: Argasidae) by entomopathogenic fungus Metarhizium anisopliae (Ascomycota: Hypocreales). Brazilian Journal of Microbiology 42: 1445-1452.
3. Molyneux, D.H. 1993. Vectors. In: Francis EG Cox (2nd edn), Modern parasitology: a textbook of parasitology. Wiley-Blackwell, USA p.53-74.
4. Sarwar, M. 2017. Status of Argasid (Soft) Ticks (Acari: Parasitiformes: Argasidae) In Relation To Transmission of Human Pathogens. International Journal of Vaccines & Vaccination 4(4): 00089.
5. Guglielmone, A.A., R.G. Robbins, D.A. Apanaskevich, T.N. Petney, A. Estrada-Peña, I.G. Horak, R. Shao and S.C. Barker. 2010. The Argasidae, Ixodidae and Nuttalliellidae (Acari: Ixodida) of the world: a list of valid species names. Zootaxa 2528: 1-28.
6. Pantaleoni, R., M. Baratti, L. Barraco, C. Contini, C. Cossu, M. Filippelli, L. Loru and M. Romano. 2010. Argas (Persicargas) persicus (Oken, 1818) (Ixodida: Argasidae) in Sicily with considerations about its Italian and West-Mediterranean distribution. Parasite 17: 349-355.
7. Abbassian-lintzen, R. 1960. A Preliminary List of Ticks (Acariña: Ixodoidea) occurring in Iran and their Distributional Data. Acarologia 2: 43-61.
8. Lak, S.S., H. Vatandoost, Z. Telmadarraiy, R.E. Mahdi and E. Kia. 2008. Seasonal activity of ticks and their importance in tick-borne infectious diseases in West Azerbaijan, Iran. Journal of Arthropod-Borne Diseases 2: 28-34.
9. Nair, S., A. Sasidharan, V.D. Rani, D. Menon, S. Nair, K. Manzoor and S. Raina. 2009. Role of size scale of ZnO nanoparticles and microparticles on toxicity toward bacteria and osteoblast cancer cells. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine 20: 235.
10. Adeyemi, O.S. and C.G. Whiteley. 2013. Interaction of nanoparticles with arginine kinase from Trypanosoma brucei: kinetic and mechanistic evaluation. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 62: 450-456.
11. Bhardwaj, R., P. Saudagar and V.K. Dubey. 2012. Nanobiosciences: a contemporary approach in antiparasitic drugs. Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology 4: 97-103.
12. Butkus, M.A., M.P. Labare, J.A. Starke, K. Moon and M. Talbot. 2004. Use of aqueous silver to enhance inactivation of coliphage MS-2 by UV disinfection. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 70: 2848-2853.
13. Adeyemi, O.S. and T.O. Faniyan. 2014. Antioxidant status of rats administered silver nanoparticles orally. Journal of Taibah University Medical Sciences 9: 182-186.
14. Wall, R and D. Sheare, 1997. Veterinary Entomology. Chapman & Hall, London,pp. 96-149
15. Pourseyed, S., M. Tavassoli, I. Bernousi and K. Mardani. 2010. Metarhizium anisopliae (Ascomycota: Hypocreales): an effective alternative to chemical acaricides against different developmental stages of fowl tick Argas persicus (Acari: Argasidae). Veterinary Parasitology 172: 305-310.
16. Banumathi, B., B. Malaikozhundan and B. Vaseeharan. 2016. Invitro acaricidal activity of ethnoveterinary plants and green synthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles against Rhipicephalus (Boophilus) microplus. Veterinary Parasitology 216: 93-100.
17. Marangi, M., M.A. Cafiero, G. Capelli, A. Camarda, O.A.E. Sparagano and A. Giangaspero. 2008. Evaluation of the poultry Arthropod parasites susceptibility to some acaricides in a weld population from Italy. Journal of Arthropod-Borne Diseases 8: 520-525.
18. Buege, J.A. and S.D. Aust. Section. 1978. Microsomal lipid peroxidation. Methods in Enzymology Elsevier; 52: 302-310.
19. Green, L.C., D.A. Wagner, J. Glogowski, P.L. Skipper, J.S. Wishnok and S.R. Tannenbaum. 1982. Analysis of nitrate, nitrite, and (15N) nitrate in biological fluids. Analytical Biochemistry 126: 131-138.
20. Ding, A.H., C.F. Nathan and D.J. Stuehr. 1988. Release of reactive nitrogen intermediates and reactive oxygen intermediates from mouse peritoneal macrophages. Comparison of activating cytokines and evidence for independent production. The Journal of Immunology 141: 2407-2412.
21. Jayaseelan, C., A.A. Rahuman, G. Rajakumar, A.V. Kirthi, T. Santhoshkumar, S. Marimuthu, A. Bagavan, C. Kamaraj, A.A. Zahir and G. Elango. 2011. Synthesis of pediculocidal and larvicidal silver nanoparticles by leaf extract from heartleaf moonseed plant, Tinospora cordifolia Miers. Parasitology Research 109: 185-194.
22. Benelli, G., F. Maggi, D. Romano, C. Stefanini, B. Vaseeharan, S. Kumar, A. Higuchi, A.A. Alarfaj, H. Mehlhorn and A. Canale. 2017. Nanoparticles as effective acaricides against ticks—a review. Ticks and Tick-Borne Diseases 8: 821-826.
23. Avinash, B., R. Venu, K.S. Rao, C. Srilatha and T. Prasad. 2017. In vitro evaluation of acaricidal activity of novel green silver nanoparticles against deltamethrin resistance Rhipicephalus (Boophilus) microplus. Veterinary Parasitology 237: 130-136.
24. Araj, S.-E.A., N.M. Salem, I.H. Ghabeish and A.M. Awwad. 2015. Toxicity of nanoparticles against Drosophila melanogaster (Diptera: Drosophilidae). Journal of Nanomaterials 2015: 5.
25. Nazarizadeh A. and S. Asri-Rezaie. 2016. Comparative study of antidiabetic activity and oxidative stress induced by zinc oxide nanoparticles and zinc sulfate in diabetic rats. AAPS PharmSciTech 17,834-843.
26. Dorostkar, R., M. Ghalavand, A. Nazarizadeh, M. Tat and M.S. Hashemzadeh. 2017. Anthelmintic effects of zinc oxide and iron oxide nanoparticles against Toxocara vitulorum. International Nano Letters 7: 157-164.