عنوان مقاله [English]
This experiment was conducted to evaluate the effect of dietary supplementation of chitosan on growth performance, blood and serum biochemical indices and innate immunity of grey mullet (Mugil cephalus) for 60 days. In this experiment, 120 grey mullets (with average weight of 12.01±1.04 g) were divided into four treatments and three replicates (n=10 in each replicate) in a completely randomized design and fed with diets containing 0, 5, 10 and 15 g chitosan /kg food, respectively. The present results showed that diets containing 10 and 15 g chitosan/ kg food had a significant difference in growth and feed indices compared with control and the diet containing 5 g/kg chitosan (P<0.05). The highest final weight, condition factor,weight gain, protein efficiency ratio and red blood cellwere observed in the diet containing 10 g/kg chitosan which had a significant difference compared with other treatments (P<0.05). The highest heamoglobulin, white blood cell, Mean Corpuscular Volume, Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin Concentration, total protein, globulin and lysozyme activity were observed in treatments containing 10 and 15 g/kg chitosan, which showed a significant difference compared with other treatments (P<0.05). Finally, the present results suggests that diets containing 10 and 15 g/kg dietary chitosan can improve growth, hematology and blood biochemical indices and innate immunity responses of grey mullet.
1. Aathi, K., V. Ramasubramanian, V. Uthayakumar and S. Munirasu. 2013. Effect of supplemented diet on survival, growth, hematological, biochemical and immunological responses of indian major carp labeo rohita. International Research Journal of Pharmacy 4(5):141-147.
2. Asmita, S. and S. Uday. 2013. Effect of coating of hydrocolloids on chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) and green gram (Vigna radiate) splits during deep fat frying. International Food Research Journal 20: 565-573.
3. Bai, S. C. 2001. Requirements of L-ascorbic acid in a viviparous marine teleost, Korean rochfish (Sebaster schlegeli). pp. 69-85, In: K. Dabrowski (Eds.), Ascorbic acid in aquatic organism. CRC press.
4. Bricknell, I. and R. A. Dalmo. 2005. The use of immunostimulants in fish larval aquaculture. Fish and Shellfish Immunology 19: 457- 472.
5. Burtis, C. A. and E. R. Ashwood. 1994. Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry (2th edition).W. B.Sunders Company, Philadelphia, USA
6. Cha, S. H., J. S. Lee, C. B. Song and K. J. Lee. 2008. Effects of Chitosan-coated diet on improving water quality and innate immunity in the Oliver flounder (Paralichthys olivaceus). Aquaculture 278: 110-118.
7. Cheba, B. A. 2011. Chitin and chitosan: marine biopolymers with unique properties and versatile applications. Global Journal of Biotechnology and Biochemistry 6: 149-153.
8. Ellis, A. E. 1990. Lysozyme Assays. pp. 78-90 In: J. S. Stolen, T. C. Fletcher, D. P. Anderson, B. S. Roberson, W.B. Van Muiswinkel (eds), Techniques in: Fish Immunology. Fair Haven, NJ: SOS Publications.
9. Esmaeili Rad, A., M. Alishahi, M. Ghorbanpour and M. Zarei. 2014. The effects of oral administration of extracted chitosan from white leg shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei) on hematological and growth indices in common carp (Cyprinus carpio). Journal of Veterinary Research 69(4):385-393. (In Farsi).
10. Geng, X., X. Dong, B. Tan, Q. Yang, S. Chi, H. Liu and X. Liu. 2011. Effects of dietary chitosan and Bacillus subtilis on the growth performance nonspecific immunity and disease resistance of cobia, Rachycentron canadum. Fish and Shellfish Immunology 31: 400- 406.
11.Goldenfarb, P. B., F. P. Bowyer, T. Hall and E. Brosious. 1971. Reproducibility in the hematology laboratory the microhematocrit determination. American Journal of Clinical Patholology 56, 35-39.
12. Gopalakannan, A. and V. Arul. 2006. Effects of dietart intake of Chitin, Chitosan and Levamisol and immune system of Cyprinus carpio and control of Aeromonas hydrophila infection in pond. Aquaculture 255: 179-187.
13. Harikrishnan, R., J. Kim, C. Balasundaram and M. Heo .2012. Immunomodulatory effects of chitin and chitosan enriched diets in Epinephelus bruneus against Vibrio alginolyticus infection. Aquaculture 326: 46-52.
14. Kakuta, I and H. Kurokura. 1995. Defensive effect of orally administered bovine lactoferrin against Cryptocaryon irritans infection of red seabream. Journal of Fish Pathology 30: 289–290.
15. Kim, S. K. and N. Rajapakes. 2005. Enzymatic production biological activities of chitosan oligo sacharides (COS): A review. Carbohydrate Polymers 62: 357-368.
16. Kono, M., T. Matsui and C. Shimizu 1987. Effects of chitin, chitosan and cellulose as diet supplements on the growth of cultured fish. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 53: 125-129.
17. Kumar, S., N. P. Sahu, A. K. Pal, D. Choudhury, S. Yengkokpam and S. C. Mukherjee. 2005. Effect of dietary carbohydrate on haematology, respiratory burst activity and histological changes in Labeo rohita juveniles. Fish and Shellfish Immunology 19: 331-344.
18. Lin, S., Y. Pan, L. Luo and L. Luo. 2011. Effects of dietary b-1, 3-glucan, chitosan or raffinose on the growth, innate immunity and resistance of koi (Cyprinus carpio koi). Fish and Shellfish Immunology 31: 788-794.
19. Lin, S., S. Mao, Y. Guan, L Luo, L., Luo and Y. Pan. 2012. Effects of dietary chitosan oligosaccharidesand Bacillus coagulans on the growth, innateimmunity and resistance of koi (Cyprinus carpio koi). Aquaculture 342: 36- 41.
20. Maqsood, S., P. Singh, M. H. Samoon and A. K. Balange. 2010. Effect of dietary chitosan on nonspecific immune response and growth of Cyprinus carpio challenged with Aeromonas hydrophila. International Aquatic Research 2: 77-85.
21. No, H., N. Y. Park, S. H. Lee and S. P. Meyers. 2002. Antibacterial activity of chitosans and chitosanoligomers with different molecular weights. International Journal of Food Microbiology 74: 65-72.
22. Qin, C., Y. Du, L. Xiao, Z. Li and X. Gao. 2002. Enzymic preparation of water-soluble chitosan and their antitumor activity. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 31: 111-117.
23. Shiau, S. Y. and Y. P. Ya. 1999. Dietary supplementation of chitin and Chitosan depresses growth in Tilapia, Orecromis niloticus× Orecromis auratus. Aquaculture 179: 439-446.
24. Sukhoverkhov, F. M. 2006. The effect of cobalt, vitamin, tissue preparations and antibiotics on carp production. Available online at. http://www.FAO.com. Accessed 21 April 2006
25. Tafi, A. A., S. Meshkini and A. Tukmechi. 2013. Effects of Chitosan on some immune response of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and enhance resistance against a pathogenic Aeromonas hydrophila fallowing experimental infection. Journal of Animal Research 26 (4):468-477. (In Farsi)