عنوان مقاله [English]
Stomach and duodenal ulcers are created for various reasons. Turmeric spice is one of the Iranian’s favorite spices and this spice used in traditional medicine. The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of Curcuma longa extract on gastric injury induced by gastrotomy in rats. In this study 60 Wistar rats were used with an average weight of 250-300 grams. The rats were divided randomly into 4 groups of 15 numbers and all the animals were gastrotomy. Then the first group was gavaged with omeprazole 40 mg/kg for 21 days, the second group was gavaged curcuma longa extract to 100 mg/kg for 21 days, the third group was gavaged omeprazole and Curcuma longa extract and the fourth group was gavaged water for 21 days. For histopathological evaluation at days 7, 14 and 21 after surgery 5 rats from each group were selected from which tissue samples were taken and stained with hematoxylin-eosin method. The results of the histopathological studies showed that rat treated with Curcuma longa extract and omeprazole had significantly (P<0/05) better healing process than the other groups. Based on the results, it seems that Curcuma longa extract has favorable effects on the healing process in rat’s gastrotomy.
1. Bijvoet, O., Frijlink, W., Jie, K., Van Linden, H. D., Meijer, C., Mulder, H., Van Paassen, H., Reitsma, P., Velde, J. T. and De Vries, E. 1980. Apd in paget's disease of bone role of the mononuclear phagocyte system? Arthritis & Rheumatism, 23(10): 1193-1204.
2. Boon, H. and Wong, J. 2004. Botanical medicine and cancer: a review of the safety and efficacy. Expert opinion on pharmacotherapy, 5(12): 2485-2501.
3. Cios, T. J., Reavis, K. M., Renton, D. R., Hazey, J. W., Mikami, D. J., Narula, V. K., Allemang, M. T., Davis, S. S. and Melvin, W. S. 2008. Gastrotomy closure using bioabsorbable plugs in a canine model. Surgical endoscopy, 22(4): 961-966.
4. Da Silva, L. M., Allemand, A., Mendes, D. A. G., dos Santos, A. C., André, E., de Souza, L. M., Cipriani, T. R., Dartora, N., Marques, M. C. A. and Baggio, C. H. 2013. Ethanolic extract of roots from Arctium lappa L. accelerates the healing of acetic acid-induced gastric ulcer in rats: Involvement of the antioxidant system. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 51179-187.
5. Dannemann, C., Grätz, K., Riener, M. and Zwahlen, R. 2007. Jaw osteonecrosis related to bisphosphonate therapy: a severe secondary disorder. Bone, 40(4): 828-834.
6. Fossum, T. W. 2013. Small animal surgery textbook. Elsevier Health Sciences.
7. Gautam, S. C., Gao, X. and Dulchavsky, S. 2007. Immunomodulation by curcumin. The Molecular Targets and Therapeutic Uses of Curcumin in Health and Disease. Springer.
8. Hasani-Ranjbar, S., Larijani, B. and Abdollahi, M. 2009. A systematic review of the potential herbal sources of future drugs effective in oxidant-related diseases. Inflammation & Allergy-Drug Targets (Formerly Current Drug Targets-Inflammation & Allergy), 8(1): 2-10.
9. Lee, J. I., Kim, J. H., Kim, J. H., Choi, B. J., Song, Y. J., Choi, S. B., Bae, Y. S., Lee, S. H., Jee, S. R. and Kang, M. S. 2012. Indication for endoscopic treatment of ulcerative early gastric cancer according to depth of ulcer and morphological change. Journal of gastroenterology and hepatology, 27(11): 1718-1725.
10. Maciorkowska, E., Kaczmarski, M., Skowrońska, J., Cieśla, J., Chrzanowska, U., Olejnik, B., Sacharewicz, A. and Ryszczuk, E. 2004. Helicobacter pylori eradication as prevention against chronic peptic ulcer disease in children. Roczniki Akademii Medycznej w Bialymstoku (1995), 50: 137-140.
11. Maciorkowska, E., Kaczmarski, M., Skowronska, J., Ciesla, J. M., Chrzanowska, U., Olejnik, B. T., Sacharewicz, A. and Ryszczuk, E. 2005. Helicobacter pylori eradication as prevention against chronic peptic ulcer disease in children. Rocz Akad Med Bialymst, 50 Suppl 1137-40.
12. Mahady, G., Pendland, S., Yun, G. and Lu, Z. 2001. Turmeric (Curcuma longa) and curcumin inhibit the growth of Helicobacter pylori, a group 1 carcinogen. Anticancer research, 22(6C): 4179-4181.
13. Mahattanadul, S., Nakamura, T., Panichayupakaranant, P., Phdoongsombut, N., Tungsinmunkong, K. and Bouking, P. 2009a. Comparative antiulcer effect of bisdemethoxycurcumin and curcumin in a gastric ulcer model system. Phytomedicine, 16(4): 342-351.
14. Mahattanadul, S., Nakamura, T., Panichayupakaranant, P., Phdoongsombut, N., Tungsinmunkong, K. and Bouking, P. 2009b. Comparative antiulcer effect of bisdemethoxycurcumin and curcumin in a gastric ulcer model system. Phytomedicine, 16(4): 342-51.
15. Mei, X., Xu, D., Xu, S., Zheng, Y. and Xu, S. 2011. Gastroprotective and antidepressant effects of a new zinc (II)–curcumin complex in rodent models of gastric ulcer and depression induced by stresses. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, 99(1): 66-74.
16. Noorafshan, A. and Ashkani-Esfahani, S. 2013. A review of therapeutic effects of curcumin. Current pharmaceutical design, 19(11): 2032-2046.
17. Plengsuriyakarn, T., Viyanant, V., Eursitthichai, V., Picha, P., Kupradinun, P., Itharat, A. and Na-Bangchang, K. 2012. Anticancer activities against cholangiocarcinoma, toxicity and pharmacological activities of Thai medicinal plants in animal models. BMC complementary and alternative medicine, 12(1): 23.
18. Rajan, E., Gostout, C. J., Bonin, E. A., Moran, E. A., Locke, R. G., Szarka, L. A., Talley, N. J., Deters, J. L., Miller, C. A. and Knipschield, M. A. 2012. Endoscopic full-thickness biopsy of the gastric wall with defect closure by using an endoscopic suturing device: survival porcine study. Gastrointestinal endoscopy,76(5): 1014-1019.
19. Russell, R. G. G. 2007. Bisphosphonates: mode of action and pharmacology. Pediatrics, 119 (Supplement 2): S150-S162.
20. Tsimmerman, I. and Tsimmerman, I. 2007. [Gastroduodenal erosive and ulcerous lesions induced by non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs]. Klinicheskaia meditsina, 86(2): 8-14.
21. Ugur, S., Ulu, R., Dogukan, A., Gurel, A., Yigit, I. P., Gozel, N., Aygen, B. and Ilhan, N. 2015. The renoprotective effect of curcumin in cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity. Renal failure, 37(2): 332-336.
22. Varenna, M., Zucchi, F., Ghiringhelli, D., Binelli, L., Bevilacqua, M., Bettica, P. and Sinigaglia, L. 2000. Intravenous clodronate in the treatment of reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome. A randomized, double blind, placebo controlled study. The Journal of rheumatology, 27(6): 1477-1483.