عنوان مقاله [English]
In this research, morphology and histology of the left and right lacrimal glands of ten adult ostrich were carefully studied. After the topographical study of the glands and measuring the dimension of them, tissue sections were prepared and stained by current histology. Results revealed that in ostrich, lacrimal gland was dark brown to black color and was located obliquely in dorsolateral part of orbit. The mean length of lacrimal gland was 15.95 ± 2.06mm and 16.80 ± 2.25mm in left and right side respectively. The mean width of it was 6.15 ± 0.66mm and 6.25 ± 0.58mm in left and right side respectively. There was no significant difference between length, thickness, weight and width of left and right lacrimal glands. In histological results, sceretory units of lacrimal gland were tubuloalveolar and mucous type. Epithelial cells were high simple columnar and mode of secretion was apocrine. In ostrich, topography of lacrimal gland was
similar to other birds and the glandular cells were positive in periodic acid shiff and alcian blue stains.
1. Baccari, G. C., Minucci, S., Di Matteo, L., Chieffi, G. (1990) Harderian gland and the lacrimal gland of the lizard (Podarcis s.sicula): histological, histochemistry and ultrastructure. Anat.Rec. 226: 269–278.
2. Burns, R.B. (1979) Histological and immunological studies on the fowl lacrimal gland following surgical excision of Harder’s gland. Res. Vet. Sci. 27: 69-75.
3. Chieffi Baccari, G., Minucci, S.,Di Matteo, L., Chieffi, G. (1990) Harderian gland and the lacrimal gland of the lizard
Podarcis s.sicula: histology, histochemistry and ultrastructure. Anat. Rec. 226: 269-278.
4 - Dadras, H., Mansouri, S.H.(1375) Birds: The Structure and Function. Shiraz Univesity Press. (1st ed). P: 401-426.
5. Dimitrov, D.S. (1999) Some weight and morphometricparameters in the broiler chickens lachrymal gland (1-56 day). In: Proceedings of the Scientific Conference. SUB-Stara Zagora, part I, pp. 340−345.
6. Dimitrov, D. S. (2001) Comparative study on some weight and morphometric parameters of Harderian and lachrymal glands in broiler chickens aged between 1–56 days. Bulg. J. Vet. Med. 4:31−140.
7. Dimitrov, D. S. (2009) The gland of the third eyelid (Harderian gland) and lacrymal gland in the turkey broiler − weight, some morphometrical and structural investigations. Bulg. J. Vet. Med. 12: 41−46.
8 - Dimitrov, D. S., Genchev, A.G.(2011) Comparative morphometric investigations of infraorbital glands in Japanese quails (). Bulg. J. Vet. Med. 14:124 – 127.
9. Gillette, T.E., Allansmith, M.R., Greiner, J.V., Janusz, M. (1980) Histologic and immunohistologic comparison of main and accessory lacrimal tissue. Am. J. Ophthalmol. 98: 724 – 730.
10. Hamidi, M.S. (1380) Management and Economics of Ostrich Farming in Iran. Tehran, Iran.
11. Martin, C.L., Munnell, J., Kaswan, R. (1988) Normal ultrastructure and histochemical characteristics of canine lacrimal glands. Am. J. Vet. Res. 49: 1566 – 1572.
12. Mohammadpour, A.A. (2008) Anatomical characteristics ofdorsal lacrimal gland in one humped camel (Camelus dromedarius). J. Biol. Sci. 6: 1104 – 1106.
13. Mousavi, S.M., Ghafouri, S.A. (1378) Ostrich Farm Management, (1st ed.). Tehran, Iran.
14. Muller, A.P., Sato, K., Glick, B.(1971).The chicken lacrimalgland, gland of harder, caecal tonsil, and accessory spleens as sources of antibody-producing cells. Cellular Imunity. 2: 140-152.
15. Nikkinen, A., Lehtosalo, J.I., Uusitalo, H., Palkama, A., Panula, P.(1984) The lacrimal glands of the rat and the guinea pig are innervated by nerve fibers containing immunoreactivities for substance P and vasoactive intestinal polypeptide. Histochem. 81:23.
16. Pinard, C.L, Weiss, M.L., Brightman, A.H., Fenwich,B.W., Davidson, H.J.(2003) Normal anatomical and histochemical characteristic of the lacrimal glands in the American bisonand cattle. Anat. Histol. Embriol. 32: 257- 262.
17. Sakai, T (1989) Major Ocular gland of Musk shrew. Department of Anatomy. Faculty of Medicine. University of Tokyo. Jap. J. Morphol. 201: 39-57.
18. Schlegel, T., Brehm, H., Amselgruber, W.M. (2001) The cartilage of the third eyelid: a comparative macroscopical and histological study in domestic animals. Ann Anat. 183:165-9.
19. Shadkhast, M., Bigham, A.S. (2010). A Histo-anatomical study of dorsal lacrimal gland in Iranian river Buffalo. Vet. Scan. 5:50.
20. Uddman, R., Alumets, J., Ehinger, B., Hakanson, R., Loren, I., Sundler, F.(1980).Vasoactive intestinal polypeptide
nerves in ocular and orbital structures of the cat. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci.19:878.
21. Ueda, Y., Karasaw, Y., Satoh, Y., Nishikawa, S., Imaki, J., Ito, M.(2009) Putrification and characterization of mouse lacrimal gland epithelial cells and reconstruction of an acinar- like structure in three-dimensional culture. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 50:1978 – 87.
22. Walcott, B., Brink, P. (2006) Innervation of the plasma cellcompartment in a lacrimal gland. Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 594: 425 – 428.