عنوان مقاله [English]
Lipopolysaccharide (LPS) is part of the outer cell wall structure of gram-negative bacteria. The aim of this study was to investigate the short and long-term effects of LPS-induced endotoxemia from Escherichia coli O55:B5 on mice sperm indices. Thirty apparently healthy and sexually mature male NMRI mice aged 2 months and weighing averagely 27-31 gr were used in this study. Mices divided in to two groups of 15 mices; the control group and experimental group were received 0.1 steril normal sailin and 6750 µg kg-1 BW LPS by IP injection, respectively. Epididimal sperm sample were obtained from both testes of five cases in each group at 3, 30 and 60 day after induced endotoxemia. In experiment group, all sperm indices at 3rd and 30th day were significantly decreased in comparsion with the control group and the maximum reduction was seen after three day from induced endotoxemia (P < 0.001). Also, 60 day from endotoxemia, there were significantly differences between two groups of study in motility and progressive motility sperm indices and these indices were not return to the normal values. Endtoxemia condition has making destructive effects on sperm and spermatogenesis in short and long-term even during two months or about two times more than spermatogenesis duration.
1. Alavi, S.M. and J. Cosson. 2005. Sperm motility in fishes. I. Effects of temperature and pH: a review. Cell Biology International 29: 101-110.
2. Ali, N.A., W.D. Jülich, C. Kusnick and U. Lindequist. 2001. Screening of Yemeni medicinal plants for antibacterial and cytotoxic activities. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 74: 173-179.
3. Auroux, M.R., L. Jacques, D. Mathieu and J. Auer. 1991. Is the sperm bacterial ratio a determining factor in impairment of sperm motility: an in‐vitro study in man with Escherichia coli. International Journal of Andrology 14: 264-270.
4. Biswas, B. and S. Yenugu. 2014. Transcriptional regulation of the rat sperm-associated antigen 11e (Spag 11e) gene during endotoxin challenge. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 289: 837-845.
5. Brecchia, G., R. Cardinali, E. Mourvaki, G. Collodel, E. Moretti, A. Dal Bosco and C. Castellini. 2010. Short-and long-term effects of lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammation on rabbit sperm quality. Animal Reproduction Science 118: 310-316.
6. Collodel, G., E. Moretti, G. Brecchia, L. Kuželová, J. Arruda, E. Mourvaki and C. Castellini. 2015. Cytokines release and oxidative status in semen samples from rabbits treated with bacterial lipopolysaccharide. Theriogenology 83: 1233-1240.
7. Constable, P.D., K.W. Hinchcliff, S.H. Done and W. Gruenberg. 2017. Veterinary Medicine: A textbook of the diseases of cattle, horses, sheep, pigs and goats. Elsevier, USA.
8. Dolente, B.A., P.A. Wilkins and R.C Boston. 2002. Clinicopathologic evidence of disseminated intravascular coagulation in horses with acute colitis. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 220: 1034-1038.
9. Fujita, Y., T. Mihara, T. Okazaki, M. Shitanaka, R. Kushino, C. Ikeda, H. Negishi, Z. Liu, J.S. Richards and M. Shimada. 2011. Toll-like receptors (TLR) 2 and 4 on human sperm recognize bacterial endotoxins and mediate apoptosis. Human Reproduction 26: 2799-2806.
10. Hishinuma, M. and J. Sekine. 2003. Evaluation of membrane integrity of canine epididymal spermatozoa by short hypoosmotic swelling test with ultrapure water. Journal of Veterinary Medical Science 65: 817-820.
11. Jafari, O., H. Babaei, R. Kheirandish, A.S. Samimi and A. Zahmatkesh. 2018. Histomorphometrical evaluation of mice testicular tissue following short- and long-term effects of lipopolysaccharide-induced endotoxemia. Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences 21: 47-52.
12. Kajihara, T., R. Okagaki, and Ishihara. 2006. LPS-induced transient testicular dysfunction accompanied by apoptosis of testicular germ cells in mice. Medical Molecular Morphology 39: 203-208.
13. Lechniak, D., A. Kedzierski and D. Stanislawski. 2002. The use of HOS test to evaluate membrane functionality of boar sperm capacitated in vitro. Reproduction in Domestic Animals 37: 379-380.
14. Levi, M., E. de Jonge and T. van der Poll. 2001. Rationale for restoration of physiological anticoagulant pathways in patients with sepsis and disseminated intravascular coagulation. Critical Care Medicine 29: S90-94.
15. Li, Z., D. Zhang, Y. He, Z. Ding, F. Mao, T. Luo and X. Zhang. 2016. Lipopolysaccharide compromises human sperm function by reducing intracellular cAMP. The Tohoku Journal of Experimental Medicine 238: 105-112.
16. Neild, D.M., M.G. Chaves, M. Flores, M.H. Miragaya, E. Gonzalez and A. Agüero. 2000. The HOS test and its relationship to fertility in the stallion. Andrologia 32: 351-355.
17. O’bryan, M.K., S. Schlatt, D.J. Phillips, D.M. de Kretser and M.P. Hedger. 2000. Bacterial lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammation compromises testicular function at multiple levels in vivo. Endocrinology 141: 238-246.
18. Okazaki, T., T. Mihara, Y. Fujita, S. Yoshida, H. Teshima and M. Shimada. 2010. Polymyxin B neutralizes bacteria-released endotoxin and improves the quality of boar sperm during liquid storage and cryopreservation. Theriogenology 74: 1691-1700.
19. Rota, A., N. Penzo, L. Vincenti and R. Mantovani. 2000. Hypoosmotic swelling (HOS) as a screening assay for testing in vitro fertility of bovine spermatozoa. Theriogenology 53: 1415-1420.
20. Sanocka-Maciejewska, D., M. Ciupińska and M. Kurpisz. 2005. Bacterial infection and semen quality. Journal of Reproductive Immunology 67: 51-56.
21. Sokkar, S.M., G. Darwiesh, A. Madbooly and O.R. Kaaden. 2003. Study of the pathological effect of Escherichia coli endotoxin in rams. Zoonoses and Public Health 50: 226-230.
22. Urata, K., H. Narahara, Y. Tanaka, T. Egashira, F. Takayama and I. Miyakawa. 2001. Effect of endotoxin-induced reactive oxygen species on sperm motility. Fertility and Sterility 76: 163-166.
23. Yu, H., J. Dong, Y. Gu, H. Liu, A. Xin, H. Shi, F. Sun, Y. Zhang, D. Lin and H. Diao. 2013. The novel human β-defensin 114 regulates lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-mediated inflammation and protects sperm from motility loss. Journal of Biological Chemistry 288: 12270-12282.
24. Zachary, J.F. 2017. Pathologic basis of veterinary disease. Elsevier, USA.