عنوان مقاله [English]
Toxoplasmosis is a protozoan infection causing abortion in warm-blooded animals including sheep. The aim of this study was to investigate sero-prevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection of sheep in some regions of Isfahan province. To do this, 320 serum samples were taken and investigated for the presence of anti-Toxoplasma gondii IgG antibodies using an indirect ELISA. Results showed that 73 out of 320 investigated samples (22.8 percent) had detectable titers of anti-Toxoplasma gondii IgG antibodies. The samples were then divided into five groups according to the age of animals including 1-1.5, 1.5-2.5, 2.5-3.5, 3.5-4.5 and older than 4.5 years old. Sero-prevalence of infection was 16.66, 19.48, 22.07, 25.77 and 25.49 percent in each group, respectively. Statistical analysis revealed no relationship between the age groups and seropositivity. The results of this study showed that rather than relatively high sero-prevalence of infection and possibility of abortion in sheep population, the infection may be the source of zoonotic hazard via undercooked meat products.
1. Bekele, T. and O. B. Kasali. 1989. Toxoplasmosis in sheep, goats and cattle in central Ethiopia. Veterinary Research Communication 13: 371-375.
2. Dubey, J. P. and J. L. Jones. 2008. Toxoplasma gondii infection in humans and animals in the United States. International Journal of Parasitology 38:1257-1278.
3. Dubey, J. P. 2016. Overview of Toxoplasmosis. In: S. E. Aiello (editor.), Merck Veterinary Manual. 11th ed, Kenilworth, NJ, USA.
4. Dubey, J. P. 2009. Toxoplasmosis of animals and humans. CRC press, Philadelphia.
5. Hashemi, S. 2014. Evaluation of Seroprevalence of Toxoplasmosis in cattle, sheep and goat using ELISA and IFAT in Lorestan province. Clinical Investigations in Large Animals. 7:49-56.
6. Hashemi-Fesharki, R. 1996. Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii in cattle, sheep and goats in Iran. Veterinary Parasitology. 61: 1-3.
7. Hosseininejad, M., H. R. Azizi, F. Hosseini and G. Schares. 2009. Development of an indirect ELISA test using a purified tachyzoite surface antigen SAG1 for sero-diagnosis of canine Toxoplasma gondii infection. Veterinary Parasitology. 164: 315-319.
8. Kimbita, E. N., X. Xuan, X. Huang, T. Miyazawa, S. Fukumoto, M. Mishima, H. Suzuki, C. Sugimoto, H. Nagasawa, K. Fujisaki, N. Suzuki, T. Mikami and I. Igarashi. 2001. Serodiagnosis of Toxoplasma gondii infection in cats by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay using recombinant SAG1. Veterinary Parasitology. 102: 35-44.
9. Romanelli, P. R., R. L. Freire, O. Vidotto, E. R. M. Marana, L. Ogawa, V. S. O. De Paula, J. L. Garciaand and I. T. Navarro. 2007. Prevalence of Neospora caninum and Toxoplasma gondii in sheep and dogs from Guarapuava farms, Parana State, Brazil. Research in Veterinary Science. 82: 202-207.
10. Sharif, M., S. Gholami, H. Ziaei, A. Daryani, B. Laktarashi, S. P. Ziapour, A. Rafiei and M. Vahedi. 2007. Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii in cattle, sheep and goats slaughtered for food in Mazandaran province, Iran, during 2005. Veterinary Journal. 174: 422-424.