عنوان مقاله [English]
Stillbirth is defined as a calf death just prior to, during, or within 24 to 48 h of parturition. The exact cause of calf death in dairy cows in this period of time is unknown. The objective of this study was to investigate about the effective factors on stillbirth and also to estimate some of the genetic parameters in Iranian dairy Holsteins. Data in the first and second lactation that have been collected from 1998 to 2007 were analyzed separately and a threshold model was used to analyze every calving data. The effects of milk-2x, age at calving, herd-year-season of calving and also sex of calf on stillbirth rate were all statistically significant. Male calves showed significantly more stillbirth rate than female calves. The heritability’s for stillbirth in the first- and in the second lactation were estimated 0.025 and 0.01, respectively. After classification of first- and second lactation cows for milk yield levels and age at calving, the results showed that stillbirth was higher for cows with high milk yield potential and the older cows have more stillbirth than the younger ones.
1- Berger, P. J., Thompson J. R. and Sattler. C.G. (1998) Preliminary investigations on the feasibility of a stillbirth evaluation in the USA. Interbull Bull. 18:28–30.##
2- Bicalho, R. C., K. N. Galva˜o, S. H. Cheong, R. O. Gilbert, L. D. Warnick and C. L. Guard. (2007) Effect of stillbirths on dam survival and reproduction performance in Holstein dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 90:2797–2803.##
3- Carpenter, T., M. Chrie `l, M. Andersen, M. Wulfson, A. Jensen, H. Houe and M. Greiner. (2006) An epidemiologic study of late-term abortions in Denmark, July 2000-August 2003. Prev. Vet. Med. article in press.##
4- Chassange, M., J. Barnouin and J.P. Chacornac. (1999) Risk factors for stillbirth in field conditions in France: A prospective survey. Theriogenology 51:1477-1488##
5- Eriksson, S., A. Nasholm, K. Johansson and J. Philipsson. (2004) Genetic parameters for calving difficulty, stillbirth, and birth weight for hereford and charolais at first and later parities.
J. Anim. Sci. 82:375-383.##
6. Hansen, M., I. Misztal, M.S Lund , J. Pederson and L. G. Christensen. (2004a) Undesired phenotypic and genetic trend for stillbirth in Danish Holsteins. J. Dairy Sci. 87:1477-1486.##
7. Heins, B. J., L. B. Hansen and A. J. Seykora. (2006) Calving difficulty and stillbirths of pure Holsteins versus crossbreds of Holstein with Normande, Montbeliarde, and Scandinavian Red. J. Dairy Sci. 89:2805-2810.##
8. Lohuis, M.M., F. Miglior, J.C.M. Dekkers and E.B. Burnside. (1993) Stillbirths and dystocia in breeding programs. Centre for Genetic Improvement of Livestock Animal & Poultry Science, University of Guelph, Industry Circulation, 1993.##
9. Meijering, A. (1984) Dystocia and stillbirth in cattle — A review of causes, relations and implications. Livest. Prod. Sci. 11:143–177.##
10. Meyer, C.L., P.J. Berger, K.J. Koehler, J.R. Thompson and C.G. Sattler. (2001) Phenotypic trends in incidence of stillbirth for Holsteins in the United States. J. Dairy Sci. 84:515–523.##
11. Steinbock, L. (2006) Comparative aspects on genetics of stillbirth and calving difficulty in Swedish dairy cattle breeds. Licentiate thesis, SwedishUniversity of Agricultural Sciences.##
12. Steinbock, L., A. Nasholm, B. Berglund, K. Johansson and J. Philipsson. (2003) Genetic effects on stillbirth and calving difficulty in Swedish at first and second calving. J. Dairy Sci. 86:2228-2235.stillbirth and calving difficulty in Swedish at first and second calving. J. Dairy Sci. 86:2228-2235.##